Sunday 23 October 2011

DIY Brunch in Bed

So I'm finally able to justify my small addiction to trashy weekly magazines...

It turns out that Grazia inlcudes a great recipe each week. Right next to the horoscope if you're interested (no prizes for guessing how I found it then). I recently found this yummy breakfast one and although I can't claim to having made it, Iain has and it's brilliant - simple and delicious. So thanks Grazia for the following recipe and apologies for the slight liberties I've take with the wording...

Grazia's Brunch in Bed
Serves 2:
Cooking time 10 minutes (if you're Iain or Grazia, if you're more like me may be a bit longer)

The gubbings:
2 Flat breads, like a wrap or large pitta bread (we use Mission Deli Multigrain Wraps - yum)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tspn sesame seeds
30g butter
A pinch smoked praprika (we just use ye olde regular kind)
8 large free-range eggs (Grazia says preferably organic Dahling)
2 tbsp milk
50g labneh (Middle Eastern creamy yoghurt cheese - see my notes below on where to find)
A sprig each of mint, coriander and continental parsley (if you're lucky from your herb garden or if like me you manage to murder herbs on a weekly basis supermarket is the way to go!)
Salt and pepper

The how:
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.Fan 170 degreesC/Gas Mark 5. Lightly brush the flat breads with oil, season with salt and bake for 2 minutes until crisp. Remove from the oven and break into large pieces
2. Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan and toast the sesame seeds for 1 - 2 minutes until brown. Add half the butter and the smoked praprika, and allow the butter to melt. Put the sesame butter to one side in a small bowl. Wipe the pan clean.
3. Whisk the eggs, milk and some salt and pepper together. Melt the remaining butter in the frying pan, add the eggs and stir gently over a low heat until the eggs are done the way you like them.
4. Divide the eggs between 2 warmed dishes and top each with a dollop of labneh and the herbs, drizzle over the sesame butter and serve while hot with the toasted flatbreads
5. Enjoy!
6. Fight over who is doing the dishes/ cleaning the crumbs out of bed


Notes from Beedub:
  • May or may not be consumed in bed - entirely dependant on how messy you are. Remember crumbs have an amazing ability to get into uncomfortable places...
  • If like us you have no clue where to find labneh and are in London - Green Valley, a fantastic Middle Eastern suppermarket off Edgeware Road has it. Otherwise I suggest you look for your nearest Lebanese or Middle East supermarket. The hunt is worth it though - it's delicious! There is also an option to make it but pre-meditating what you're going to have for breakfast 24 hours (that's how long it takes) in advance just kills the romance (not to mention the challenge of finding muslin - I ask you who actually knows where to find that?!)

2 comments:

  1. I love flatbreads! I've only recently been looking into using them for breakfast. My favorite is Stonefire Naan - they have a garlic flavor I can't live without :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love flatbreads too! I always keep Tortilla's in the house as toasted or warmed they are the best, quickest addition to breakfast.

      Delete