Saturday 15 January 2011

Signal Restaurant, The Cape Grace Hotel - Cape Town

West Quay Road
Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
Cape Town
South Africa

Website
How to Get There

So FINALLY I have added a few African entries. Pretty slack really considering I am a Saffa/ Zimbo hybrid, but better late than never.

It's been two years since I was last home and it's always amazing to see how Cape Town has changed. Thankfully some of my favourite things never change and nor does the fact that I miss living there on a daily basis. If you've never experienced the magic of Cape Town, do not pass go, move straight to add-this-to-you-list-of-get-there-as-soon-as-you-can places.

Almost our first stop off the plane was to visit my best mate Pooks at the Cape Grace Hotel. She was doing some freelance work there and tipped me off that the breakfast was definitely worth a look. After a marathon 5 flights in a week, we duly arrived at the 5 Star hotel entrance in grubby jeans and Converses. Potentially not a good start you'd think, but the staff there are brilliant and charmingly ignored our travel grunge and even extended the breakfast times for us. Retrospectively this could have been more about Pooks having the entire staff wrapped around her finger and less about our aura of respectability, but I choose to think they could see past my travel hair and recognise the breakfast connoisseur within.

So about the breakfast. It's served in the Signal Rrestaurant which overlooks the V&A Waterfront Basin and Table Mountain. Most definitely views you can eat to.

You can choose from a Full Breakfast or Continental Breakfast option, both of which give access to the buffet. Full Breakfast gives you additional hot choices. Breakfast buffets, specially hotel ones, can often be very samey, but the Cape Grace manages to sneak in a few special surprises. Like fresh Oysters on ice, which happen to go very well with the champagne. Or a fruit salad with fruit you can only find in Cape Town (Cape Gooseberries - so yummy). Plus all the other things you would want and expect at a 5 star hotel. 

Iain had Eggs Benedict from the Hot Breakfast selection. I'm really getting concerned that I have indoctrinated into him into my EB cult, but in this case they really lived up to the hype and justified the choice although there were several other very tempting possibilities to choose from. By the way, I don't know if you have ever tried to make Eggs Benedict yourself, but unless you've had a crash cooking course with a Michelin Star chef, I highly recommend a pre-made hollandaise sauce unless you have the patience of Job and a foolproof stove (at the very least have it as a back up!).

We washed everything down with champagne, delicious berry smoothies and right at the point when I probably could have exploded I stupidly added a Latte as well. All beverages are included in the per head price - R99 for a continental and R120 for Full so all in all in pounds under £25 for 2 people.

There are free newspapers and an amazing library so if you want to end your breakfast in a leisurely manner you can move with your coffee and finish off there. But, if like me you can't say no to yummy things, beware the Sugar Buffet that lies in wait in the library...

On the Run Options...

Sumo

When I lived in Cape Town, I used to be a disciple of Kauai Juice which offered amazing, healthy, fresh food on the run. Sadly, the original surfer brothers and friends who owned it sold it, and with them went the original ethos and my all time ever favourite breakfast hangover remedy the Breakfast Riser. Devastation!

Happily, I discovered Sumo on this trip home and found to my delight all the same good things Kauai used to offer with some of its own fresh ideas. Everything there is freshly prepared using natural ingredients. Our holiday apartment was right next door to one of the branches - in a small shopping centre on the corner of Solomans and Main Road Seapoint. I believe there are other branches too but can't find a website so keep your eyes peeled for the Blue and White signage and make sure you pop in if you find one

The Breakfast Burrito is a winner...

Nice one Megan!

Vida e Caffe

Website and where to find em

Vida e Caffe is South Africa's unique take on coffee. You can't really compare it to anything else - it's a quintessentially Cape Town style place - super cool and quirky. It launched before I left, with one brilliant shop on Kloof Street, but seems to have grown massively with stores all over the country and now, I believe, even in London. I would still suggest starting with the one in Kloof Street, not least because it is a great little corner of Cape Town to explore.

The coffee is delicious and there are a small selection of Portguese inspired things to eat (muffins, rolls and pastries). For me personally, the Quattro is king - the most decadent four cheese, herby muffin concoction. Soooo good.

And the staff rock too - lots of ex Zimbos like me.

Oh and did I mention every cup of coffee comes with Lindt chocolate?

See the Molo Afrika section in the next few months for more picks from friends and family

No comments:

Post a Comment